April 13, 2008

in-flight entertainment

After the flight cancellation saga of american airlines over the past few days I am now back in San Antonio visiting the fam before Kate's wedding. I was on the plane from Dallas to San Antonio and was thinking about how much time I have spent in airports in the past few years, realizing I end up flying somewhere at least once a month- that's alot of time sitting huh? So if you have ever wondered what I do on planes, here's the breakdown...

Normally I bring a book, which I swear to myself I will finish before I land, but that normally lasts about 30 minutes and then I'm ready for what's next. When the flight attendants begin their safety demonstrations I always feel a little weird because they look right at me, like I'm really the one who needs to hear what they are saying. But then I realize I am the only passenger actually looking at them and nodding as point to all my exit options on the plane.

Next comes people watching... on my way back from Denver I could not stop staring at the guy's ears in front of me. He kept pulling on them and rubbing the edges while he was reading his book and I just could not get over how big they were- which brings me to a flashback of my junior high days of being really self-conscious of my own big ears...so I empathized with him and wanted to give him a pat on the back.

Next comes the inevitable trip to the bathroom. Is it just me or does it seem like everyone stares at you when you are walking down that long aisle to the bathroom? On my way back I passed the family I remembered seeing at the gate eating McDonalds. Their 3 kids had long hair and I honestly could not tell if they were girls or boys. I tried to get a good look when I was walking by- but that one is still a mystery to me.

Then the drink cart! Who knew that a quarter cup of soda over tons of ice could be something we all look forward too? I debate the whole way down, dr. pepper, gingerale or water. dr. pepper, gingerale or water...normally i decide i don't need the caffeine and opt for gingerale or if I'm being really good I decide I don't need sugar at all and I go for water...but secretly I want a dr. pepper the whole time.

Finally the plane lands, which I always but both feet firmly on the floor to land cause I'm convinced landing with my legs crossed messes up my alignment...crazy.. I know. Then it's time to deboard, and I don't know if you feel this way, but it seems like people walking off planes always look like they are on a mission. But when I walk off the plane to the gate door, I have to try really hard not to look, smile, and wave at everyone who is waiting for their plane. I can't help it, I feel like I'm walking down the aisle as a bridesmaid at a wedding and just want to smile at everyone. But don't worry, I put on my busy face and I think people are totally convinced that I'm important.

Ok, I realize this is getting long so I will say my baggage claim experiences for tomorrow.

1 comment:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

That's funny! Just found your blog through the Ackley's! Good times!