April 6, 2008

letter to supporters

Here's a letter I wrote to some of my old supporters catching them up on my life...I thought I'd post it just in case you wanted an update too... I tried to fit a million things into one letter so it might be a little confusing...so is life :)

new season

I know it has been a while since I last updated you on life, but you have been such an important part of my life for the last few years through your prayer and support and I wanted to share with you more of the journey God has me on. It’s been a season of transition and change but the Lord, as always, has been teaching me new things and showing me more of Himself in the process…

I am working at Amali Public Relations—a consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profit organizations and I am learning a ton. I almost feel like I am in grad school. Non-profits are a world of their own and I’m learning what makes non-profits effective, what is sustainable overseas, how they connect with people, and how they can collaborate with others to see their missions accomplished. My favorite part of my job is thinking through how to creatively and clearly communicate a non-profit’s vision to their community, supporters and the people they serve. I still love getting to connect people to the worlds needs and how they can play a part in change!

Starting with my trip to Africa this past summer, I have been learning a lot about what it looks like the view our world through a “lens of redemption”...ie.. What would it really look like if Jesus came and fully redeemed every part of our world... people, families, neighborhoods, cities, cultures, and environments... to be the way He intended it to be? In reading through scripture, we see over and over again how Jesus cares for people who are oppressed and marginalized and we cannot avoid the call on our lives to bring the holistic power of the gospel, in both word and action, to change and redeem lives.

With not being on campus anymore, I have definitely missed interacting with students and over the Christmas holidays, I started thinking more about how the Lord would use the things that I have learned to effect change in our world. In the midst of our ever changing culture and world, Campus Crusade has been in the process of figuring out how to connect people with the needs of the world in a tangible and sustainable way. After meeting with a few different staff and directors over the past few months, the Lord has provided a neat opportunity to collaborate with Crusade through connecting them with needs and organizations they can come alongside to see change happen around the world and in their students’ lives as well.

College students today are thinking through their role in the world and have a huge desire to make their life count.. Our generation is starting to ask the question “if God’s kingdom is here and coming...what are we doing?” For years there has been such a dichotomy between the way students view their every day lives and how serving plays into that. When I think about today’s students ten years down the road, I don’t want them looking back on the “glory” days of their time in college and how they “once” were involved in meeting the needs of the poor and advocating for the oppressed. Rather, my hope is that as they go on to be doctors, or businessmen, living in urban areas and rural towns, their experiences in college would be a spring board to lives that are passionate about meeting needs and investing in lives of the people within ten feet of their lives everyday and around the world. That they would be men and women who truly see the gospel play out in their lives both in word and in deed.

Some things never change, I still love community, miss Texas, love writing, love Africa, and have a list of 20 big projects I want to do at once! If nothing else, I am continuing to realize that life is messy and God is way more concerned with meeting peoples needs than I will ever be cause He is right there in the midst of them all the time. I’m just thankful to go with Him on the adventure! Would, you also pray with me, that the Lord would give me wisdom and clarity in what capacity to invest my time with Crusade and in students’ lives? Thanks again for being a part of my life and I’m excited to continue to share with you what God has in the future!



No comments: